This is the story of Gloria and a tiny chap named Mac
He lives in her eye right at the very back
As part of a campaign to increase awareness of macular conditions and The Macular Society, we’ve created Mac to tell our story. He’s appeared across the south coast on TV and on the internet and will be appearing in other parts of the country soon.
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the biggest cause of sight loss in the UK, over 600,000 people have the condition. People with macular degeneration cannot read, drive or recognise faces.
Today we care - our support includes local groups, a helpline, counselling and help to access treatment.
Tomorrow we’ll cure - we fund ground-breaking research including stem cells and genetics at leading institutions.
How you can help us beat AMD
- £10 will give someone support from our helpline.
- £15 provides a bottle of liquid in which to grow cells for clinical testing.
- £25 will help launch a local support group for people affected by sight loss.
- £40 buys a box of sterile microscope slides, essential for any laboratory.
- £50 pays for an hour of counselling, for someone struggling to come to terms with losing their sight.
- £300 buys an antibody for investigating the immune system in clinical research.
- £500 provides volunteer training to help people with sight loss maintain their independence.
This is the story of Gloria’s Mac but one day much of your world could be fading to black.
Eyesight is so precious and pure. Please donate, help us fund support and research for a cure.