Have you heard of Mac the macula?
As part of a campaign to increase awareness of macular disease, we’ve created Mac to tell our story. Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the biggest cause of sight loss in the UK, and more than 600,000 people have the condition. Many people with macular degeneration cannot read, drive or recognise faces.
Our support includes local groups, a Helpline, counselling and help to access treatment.
We fund groundbreaking research, including work on stem cells and genetics at leading institutions.
How you can help us beat AMD
- £10 will give someone support from our helpline.
- £15 provides a bottle of culture medium in which to grow cells for clinical testing.
- £25 will help launch a local support group for people affected by sight loss.
- £40 buys a box of sterile microscope slides, essential for any laboratory.
- £50 pays for an hour of counselling, for someone struggling to come to terms with losing their sight.
- £300 buys an antibody for investigating the immune system in clinical research.
- £500 provides volunteer training to help people with sight loss maintain their independence.