Step Around the World (...from home)
Step out to Beat Macular Disease with a step challenge to suit you. Your ‘Step Around the World (…from home)’ challenge is really simple to do. And for every step you’re sponsored for, together we’re moving a step closer to Beating Macular Disease.
“Travel” wherever you fancy and under your own steam to complete your step challenge. You could “travel” somewhere you’ve always wanted to visit (1 mile = 2,112 steps), or try:
- Stonehenge walk – 2.6 miles (about 5,490 steps)
- Trevi Fountain to the Colosseum in Rome – 1 mile (about 2,112 steps)
- Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco – 1.7 miles (about 3,590 steps)
- Fifth Avenue, NYC – 6.2 miles (about 13,094 steps)
Want to go a bit further, or complete a longer distance as a team (when restrictions allow)? You could try:
- Land’s End to John O’Groats – 874 miles (about 1.84 million steps)
- Machu Picchu Inca Trail – 26 miles (about 54,912 steps)
- London to Paris – 292 miles (about 616,704 steps)
- Route 66 – 2,400 miles (about 5 million steps)
- Ultimate ‘Step Around the World’ (20 million steps!)
We’ve even got a Macular Society ‘Passport’ you can send off for, to log your step challenges! Step in your local community, up and down the stairs in your house - or step around your garden if you have one. Whether you walk, run, cycle or dance to your “destination”, your sponsored steps are Beating Macular Disease. Thank you!
You can take part in six easy ‘steps’:
- Send off for your ‘passport’ and challenge pack by completing our registration form or emailing email@example.com
- Decide on your target destination(s)
- Set up a sponsorship page on Just Giving - Remember to share your page with friends and family
- Fill in your Macular Society ‘passport’ using the stickers provided
- £100 sponsorship will earn you a challenger’s t-shirt; £250 sponsorship will earn you a challenger’s medal!
- Send in your sponsorship money to help Beat Macular Disease and please let us know how you get on. Don’t forget to take photos or short video clips – we’d love to see them!
Jamie Cuthbertson, who previously worked for the Macular Society, is completing his own Step Around the World (…from home) challenge. He has calculated that, with 91 steps from top to bottom in his block of flats, he only needs to climb (and descend) the stairwell a mere 526 times to climb the equivalent height of Mount Everest. This is 47,866 steps, or 8,849 metres.
“What better way to start 2021 than by opening my front door and climbing Mount Everest - and coming back down again!!?? Well it certainly seemed like a good idea to me and that's what I'm doing!"
Want to find out more?
Contact Kathy on 01264 321 964 or firstname.lastname@example.org