26 June – 2 July 2017
We are looking forward to a fantastic Macular Week 2017, which is now in its third year. Thank you to everyone who got involved in 2016, by organising events and spreading the message on social media. We want to make Macular Week 2017, in our 30th anniversary year even bigger and better. We need your support to help make this happen.
Macular Week is all about increasing awareness of macular conditions, as well as highlighting the importance of research funding, which could eventually help to find a cure for macular disease.
The theme for the week will focus on the importance of eye health and the positive steps people can take to look after their eyes. We believe that empowering people with the right information is an effective way to encourage them to take action and also support the work that we do. There are many ways to get involved and we encourage you to get started early and let us know your plans so we can help.
As an individual you could
- Love your eyes - Buy a pair of our yellow heart-shaped sunglasses that will be available from our online shop and wear them to show your support.
- Bake a cake - Make some cupcakes using our edible cake toppers and sell them to friends, family or colleagues.
- Veg for vision - Grow vegetables, such as leafy greens that are good for your eyes, to sell to family and friends.
Or you could get sponsored to:
- Give it up - Give up a guilty pleasure such as alcohol, smoking, or chocolate for the week. Get the kids involved by getting them to give up sweets.
- Take it up - Do something healthy everyday such as having a nutritious smoothie or walking to work.
- Donate a Distance - Run, walk, cycle or swim a distance of your choice during Macular Week.
As a group you could
- Hold a wear yellow day - Get colleagues, classmates, or group members to donate £1 to wear yellow, or ‘fine’ them £2 if they don’t!
- Host a Tea for MD party - Enjoy a cuppa and cake with family and friends while raising funds.
- Hold a supermarket or street collection - A simple way to raise awareness and funds. Make sure you get the necessary permission well in advance.
- Caption capers - If you belong to a group or club, ask your leader or captain for a clear photo of them doing something funny or unusual. Get everyone to submit a caption for a £1 entry fee. The best entry gets 50% of the winnings, with the rest to the Society.
- Stand up bingo - The last one standing is the winner. Great for large groups.
Many optometrists, ophthalmologists, eye clinics and opticians were among those who embraced Macular Week in 2016 and we are looking forward to their involvement in 2017.
To get involved pleased complete our contact form.