Research Committee Terms of Reference
The role of the Research Committee is to:
- advise the Macular Society Council on research needs and priorities, and keep the Council and Executive Team up to date with relevant developments in the sight loss sector
- assess and approve research applications, both at the preliminary application stage and the full application stage, following the scoring guidance provided by the Macular Society Executive Team
- make recommendations to the Macular Society Council and Executive Team regarding changes to research policy, or the processes and procedures used to assess applications for funding
- monitor the progress of research that has been funded by the Macular Society by reading and approving progress reports
- make other ad hoc contributions to research-related Macular Society activities, where necessary
Tenure is for a minimum of three years, renewable for up to a further three years by mutual agreement with the Chair of the Committee. All members should be rotated off after six years of service and can re-join after a three year gap.
In line with our conflicts of interest policy, involvement in the Committee does not preclude members from applying for funding. Should the situation arise, the committee member would be excluded from any discussion or decision relating to that project.
The Committee will meet twice per year to discuss research grant applications. Before meetings the members will rank, score and assess all preliminary applications and review and assess allocated full applications. Between meetings Committee members receive updates and provide advice by email.
Committee members include one Macular Society Trustee and external representatives with relevant expertise.